Mercedes may develop front-end steering issues, and if you do experience problems with this system, it is imperative that you take your Mercedes to a certified mechanic right away. Below you will learn more about what causes the front-end steering of your Mercedes to become loose.
There are three major components of the steering system within your Mercedes:
- Rack and pinion: The rack and pinion are responsible for connecting the steering wheel to the steering column.
- Linkages: The linkages connect the rack and pinion, or steering box, to the wheel assemblies.
- Front suspension: The front suspension holds the tires in place allowing the wheel assemblies to pivot as the tires turn.
Identify the Problem with Your Front End Steering
If you find yourself experiencing steering problems with your Mercedes, you should seek out an immediate inspection from a certified mechanic or technician. This inspection can alert you to worn-out parts or components. Let’s take a closer look at a few commonly-reported causes for loose front-end steering.
Worn, Damaged, or Broken Tie Rods
The tie rods essentially “tie together” the wheels and the steering system. The steering system is made of your steering wheel, the steering column, the rack and pinion or steering box that connects it to the wheel assemblies, and the wheels for the tires. Tie rods connect your four round, metal wheels to the steering system.
Worn out or damaged tie rods pose quite a risk on drivers as if they become damaged or completely broken if the wheel breaks free of the steering system. This driver will not be able to control the direction the vehicle travels.
Ball Joint Failure
The ball joints are an essential part of your Mercedes steering system, as without these vital parts, your vehicle is unable to remain stable on the roadway.
Know the Signs of Loose Front End Steering
There are some warning signs and symptoms to watch for in your Mercedes that will point to problems with your front end steering. Check out these below, and if you suspect your car has a problem, bring it to our shop as soon as possible for an inspection:
- Strange audible noises coming from your vehicle: Over time, parts of your vehicle’s steering system become worn or damaged. When this occurs, you may begin to hear strange noises coming from underneath your vehicle. These noises range from knocking, squealing, or grinding noises as a result of the loosened or damaged parts.
- Abnormal vibrations: Loosened ball joints or tie rods may lead to abnormal vibrations that can be felt through the steering wheel of your Mercedes. Abnormal vibrations felt from your vehicle can be caused by several reasons, which is why it is important that you have your vehicle inspected immediately.
- Vehicle drifting: Worn or damaged tie rods or ball joints affect your Mercedes wheels alignment. As a result, your vehicle may drift from one side of the road to the other on its own, even when your steering wheel is straight.
Carotech Automotive for Mercedes Repairs
Carotech Automotive has been helping the drivers of Los Angeles, CA for more than 50 years. With our ASE certified technicians, we quickly became LA’s go-to auto repair shop for European auto maintenance. We do not want anyone to feel they are not welcome and do not wish to leave a single person wondering where they can find a trusted repair shop, which is why we specialize in Domestic, European, and Asian automotive service and repairs.
Carotech Automotive offers:
- ASE certified technicians
- Free snacks, coffee, and soda
- We provide a code of excellence to our customers
- Easy-pay financing
We stand behind the automotive service and repair work we provide to each customer, which is why we are proud to offer a 24,000-month / 24,000-mile warranty. We provide all customers with the highest quality work available in the area with the latest factory-grade tools and equipment.
We believe in providing our customers with only the best. In order to do so, we adamantly seek out and provide our technicians with on-site training, updated safety courses, and shop etiquette programs. We will ensure you leave our shop feeling comfortable and satisfied with the service work we provide to you and your vehicle.
To schedule an appointment, call or stop by Carotech Automotive today, and one of our friendly staff members will be glad to assist you.
* Mercedes-Benz Car image credit goes to: teddyleung.