Mini Cooper, founded in 1969 and owned by the luxury automotive brand BMW, is a popular British automotive manufacturer that is known for producing high-quality small cars. Minis may experience head gasket issues that, if left untreated, can result in significant problems for your vehicle. You may wonder how you are supposed to know when to replace the head gasket of your Mini Cooper. The expert certified mechanics in Los Angeles are here to help!
What is a head gasket?
The head gasket of a Mini was designed to provide a tight seal between the cylinder head and the engine block, two extremely important parts of the engine. The cylinder head plays an extremely important role in the function of the engine as it houses more moving parts than any other engine component while the engine block itself is designed to support the weight of all engine components combined.
Without a properly functioning head gasket, combustion gases, oil, and coolant can escape resulting in a loss of pressure within the combustion chamber and an overall loss of power to your vehicle.
Experts have not yet said that a vehicle cannot be driven without a properly functioning head gasket. However, it is not recommended. A damaged or broken head gasket will leave you with a vehicle that is unable to emit an adequate amount of power to continue running smoothly, and it can damage your engine.
Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of a Failed Head Gasket
A damaged, faulty, or blown head gasket will produce a wide variety of symptoms. Damage may occur as the result of extreme pressure, exposure to excessive amounts of heat, a flaw in the design, deterioration, or an improper installation.
Commonly reported warning signs to include:
- Bubbling sounds coming from the radiator and/or coolant reserve tank.
- While smoke is emitted from the exhaust pipe as a result of antifreeze leaking into the cylinders and being turned from a liquid form to smoke.
- An unexplained loss of coolant from the coolant reservoir when there are no leaks present.
- Overheating within the engine due to the coolant escaping through the space created from the damaged head gasket being unable to properly cool the engine.
- Discoloration in the engine oil, specifically a milky white color from the coolant entering into the oil tank and causes contamination.
- An obvious loss of power stems from a decrease in pressure within the combustion chamber.
- Lastly, and most obvious, your Mini will not start as a result of there not being enough combustion pressure to ignite the engine.
Automotive experts recommend that the head gasket is replaced at least every 100,000 miles if you properly maintain the engine oil level, engine oil services by draining and replacing the old and/or dirty oil, as well as proper coolant maintenance.
While several mechanics agree that a head gasket is designed to last drivers approximately 100,000 miles, it is important to know that this intricate part can fail at any time even though it is made of extremely durable material.
Call the European Automotive Maintenance Experts for Help
Carotech Automotive has been helping drivers in the Los Angeles, California area for more than 50 years. We service popular domestic, Asian, and European makes and models including but not limited to:
- Domestic: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Corvette, Dodge, GMC, Jeep, and Lincoln
- Asian: Acura, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Toyota
- European: Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Porsche, Range Rover, Smart, Volkswagen, Volvo
Our team at Carotech Automotive is made up of highly-trained, ASE-Certified technicians with years of automotive maintenance experience. As the go-to European automotive maintenance service center in Los Angeles, we will help with all of your vehicle needs.
We offer special financing options on qualifying purchases as well as a 24-month/24,000-mile warranty on qualifying parts and labor. Your warranty coverage can be extended to 36 months or 36,000 miles, should you choose to utilize your NAPA AutoCare easy-pay credit card that offers exclusive discounts and no annual fee. Give us a call today!