When you think of Porsche, you probably think of its power engine and its unique designs, and while those words may be accurate, it doesn’t mean that you can’t still run into problems. One such problem that many Porsche owners encounter is metal shavings in the car’s oil pan. You may wonder why it happens and what you can do to fix the problem.
There are a lot of different possible reasons for why metal shavings may appear in your oil, but none of them are what you’d consider good. Over time, metal shavings building up in your engine’s oil can cause total engine failure or other issues.
Common Cause of Metal Shavings in Oil
- Dirty Oil: There is a reason why mechanics recommend getting your oil changed on a regular basis. It’s because it prevents dust and other particles from building up inside the oil and causing it to gum up. However, if your car’s oil is dirty, it won’t be able to lubricate the gears of the engine as well, and even worse, the dust and other things inside the oil can increase friction, leading to metal flaking off and getting into the oil. In turn, the oil’s ability to do its job decreases even more. It’s a continual downward spiral.
- Using the Wrong Kind of Oil: As you can imagine, because Porsche is a luxury brand, it requires high-quality materials to run properly. Some Porsche drivers try to save a little money by filling their cars with less expensive oil, but in most cases, this just means that the oil will deteriorate faster and need to be changed out more. It can also cause problems like metal shavings much sooner.
- Improper Technique When Changing the Oil: You may think that changing out your car’s oil is a simple process that can be done by anyone, and while that may be true with other car brands, because of the unique properties of a Porsche model, they require specialized knowledge and equipment to be able to accomplish most maintenance tasks. If done incorrectly, an oil change can lead to the metal shavings problem, which you will then need another technician to fix. That’s why it’s better to allow our professionals to handle it from the beginning.
- Lack of Upkeep: Owning any car, but especially a Porsche, requires that you follow a regular maintenance routine to keep the vehicle in the best condition for as long as possible. If you are being lax on this routine, it can lead to problems.
- Normal Wear and Tear: Last but not least, over time and with a lot of use, the metal shavings may appear even if you seem to be doing everything right. This is because as the vehicle ages, the stress on its internal components increases and things start to crumble and break on their own. This can lead to metal shavings in the oil, among other things.
Carotech Automotive Will Fix the Problem
If there are metal shavings in your car’s oil, the best thing to do is to take your Porsche to a knowledgeable mechanic who has ample experience working with Porsches. They will be able to determine exactly what the problem is and know how to fix it correctly. Once they’ve done that, they will probably change the oil and may flush out the engine to get all of the metal shavings out.
If you are wondering where the best place to go for this service is in Los Angeles, California, look no further than Carotech Automotive. With our extensive experience with luxury car brands such as Porsche, and our commitment to our customers, you will find that we have all the knowledge and skills necessary to fix this issue and many others.
Call us today or stop by our shop and learn more about the services we offer or to schedule a convenient appointment. We are certain that our service will be above and beyond dealership alternatives, and more affordable, too. We are eager to prove our commitment to our principles of excellent customer service and the highest-quality workmanship to keep you coming back to our shop for future maintenance and repairs.
* Porsche Car image credit goes to: tomeng.