Your Alfa Romeo can suffer wheel misalignment at any point in its ownership. Misaligned wheels can compromise your car’s performance, pose a risk of an accident, and cause premature wear and tear to tires and other components. If your Alfa Romeo has a wheel alignment problem, it is important to get it serviced so you can drive with confidence.
What is wheel alignment?
Wheel alignment is an auto maintenance service done by adjusting the angles of the vehicle’s wheels to ensure that the tires are aligned perfectly with each other and with the body of the vehicle. Alignment ensures that the tires are in optimum contact with the road and the weight is uniformly distributed to the wheels.
Your Alfa Romeo wheels can get misaligned when you hit curbs, potholes, or when you get an accident. Therefore, you should keep your driving habits in check to avoid wheel misalignment.
The Four Aspect of Proper Wheel Alignment
When you visit a repair shop for wheel alignment service, the mechanics will look at four aspects of alignment to adjust your Alfa Romeo’s wheels to the desired specifications.
- Camber angle: This is the tilt angle of the wheel when viewed from the front of the vehicle. If the top of the tire is far in (negative camber) or far out (positive camber) when the steering is straight, it means that wheels need an camber alignment.
- Caster angle: Caster is the steering axis when the car is viewed from the side. Caster is the measure of the angle of the pivot which turns the wheel. If the upper point of the pivot leans towards the back, it is a positive caster. If the upper point leans towards the front, it is a negative caster.
- Toe angle: This is the degree to which the wheels are inwards or outwards when viewed from above.
- Thrust angle: This is the angle of the rear axle in relation to the centerline of the car and the front axle.
Signs that Your Alfa Romeo Needs Wheel Alignment
- Drifting to one side even though your steering wheel is straight
- There is uneven wear of tires and premature tire wear
- You can hear your tires squealing
- The steering wheel tilts off-center
- The steering wheel vibrates when you accelerate
The Importance of Perfect Wheel Alignment
- Smooth ride: One thing that you undoubtedly want is a smooth ride. When your car’s wheels are aligned properly, they will cruise straight as you drive down the road. Otherwise, you will notice your car is off-center and tends to drift to one side. If you need a better behind-the-wheel experience in your Alfa Romeo, you should consider alignment service from trained experts.
- Perfect Steering: Proper steering gives you control of your vehicle. If your wheels are out of alignment, it might cause the steering wheel to tilt or start vibrating, making it hard to steer. This lack of control increases the risk of an accident.
- Perfect handling: Handling describes how the car responds to driver’s commands. For your car to perform perfectly, it must balance the power, acceleration, steering, and braking. It requires a proper wheel alignment to achieve its optimal performance. Wheel misalignment affects the suspension, tires, and steering. Wheel misalignment negatively impacts the handling and can lead to an accident.
Extended Tire Life and Fuel Efficiency
Proper alignment ensures that pressure is applied equally to all wheels. However, misalignment causes tires uneven and rapid tire wear. Worn-out tires are unsafe to drive as they can affect your vehicle’s handling.
Properly aligned wheels improve fuel efficiency by reducing the drag that can be caused by misaligned wheels.
Professional Wheels Alignment Service at Carotech Automotive
Proper wheel alignment is essential for your safety and the safety of other road users. Be sure to seek the assistance of Alfa Romeo experts as soon as you notice the signs of wheel misalignment.
Carotech Automotive offers exemplary alignment service and repair. Our ASE-certified mechanics have years of experience working with European vehicles, including Alfa Romeo. We offer both two-wheel alignment and four-wheel alignment services for all types of Alfa Romeo. If you live in Los Angeles, CA and the surrounding areas, visit our repair shop or contact us to book an appointment.
* Alfa Romeo Gulia Q4 Car image credit goes to: nrqemi.