When driving an Audi, or any car for that matter, it is in your best interest to keep all the essential parts operating smoothly. A part that is important to the performance of your Audi is the camshaft tensioner.
The camshaft tensioner is responsible for keeping an appropriate amount of tension on your car’s timing belt. The timing belt regulates the opening and closing of the engine valves through synchronizing the camshaft and crankshaft rotations.
In an Audi, the camshaft tensioner uses pressurized hydraulic oil for the timing belt’s functionality. A leak here can result in malfunctions and even complete engine failure.
A leaking camshaft tensioner can lead to more engine problems and can even compromise your safety. You wouldn’t want your Audi to suffer further problems, so it is a good idea to keep an eye out for tell-tale signs of problems. If you notice symptoms of a camshaft tensioner leak, you should bring it to our Audi-certified technicians so we can make repairs for you.
Watch For These Indications
A camshaft tensioner leak will appear as a typical oil leak, since the function of the camshaft tensioner is to regulate the timing belt. Failure of the camshaft tensioner will affect the timing belt as well.
- Unusual Clicking or Grinding Noises: If you hear a loud grinding, ticking, or clicking noises, these are signs that the timing belt’s tension has been compromised. Since the timing belt is responsible for the movement of the engine’s pistons, this can also compromise your safety and can lead to an accident.
- Check-Engine Light is On: The performance of the engine will rely on the timing belt and camshaft tensioner, among other things. Since both of these are central to its performance, failure in any of these will result in the engine line turning on.
- Engine Doesn’t Start: An inappropriate amount of tension on the timing belt will lead to it being stretched, and as time passes, it increases the chance of it snapping. A snapped timing belt will increase the difficulty in repairing your vehicle with the added problem of not being able to bring your vehicle to the repair shop.
- Accelerated Aging of the Timing Belt: To check the timing belt, you would need to open the hood of your car. However, the timing belt will naturally accumulate wear and tear over time with oil leaking from the camshaft tensioner. The timing belt will fray faster than it would without the oil leaking onto it.
- Problems with Accelerating: If you notice your vehicle hesitating to accelerate, it could result from the timing belt being damaged and slipping due to improper tension.
- Other Issues: Since the camshaft tensioner has a hand in governing other features, problems with your AC and battery can also be caused by a leaking camshaft tensioner.
How to Prevent a Camshaft Tensioner Leak
The best way to prevent a leak from happening is to get your vehicle regularly examined to catch the problem before it gets even worse. A simple inspection done by our expert mechanics can catch a worn-out timing belt and other loose parts. These can be solved early without it having the chance to pose a risk to your and your vehicle’s safety.
Get it Fixed by the Certified Technicians at Carotech Automotive
A vehicle with a leaking camshaft tensioner will negatively impact your engine’s performance and can even compromise your safety. With those in mind, it’s best that you get your car to a certified repair shop. Our masterful technicians here at Carotech Automotive will diagnose and address the issues plaguing your car and have you safely behind the wheel again.
The owners and technicians at Carotech Automotive have maintained a code of excellence for over 50 years. We have reliably served the people of Los Angeles, CA and have gained their trust through honestly diagnosing and repairing their vehicles.
For any issues affecting your Audi, bring it to Carotech Automotive. We will have our expert technicians tend to your vehicle. Don’t wait for your camshaft tensioner leak to cause more problems. Ensure your and your vehicle’s safety by contacting us and booking an appointment with our master technicians today.
* Audi R8 image credit goes to: DarthArt.