BMW is known for being a luxury vehicle with an exceptional life span. Your car’s electrical system plays an important role in its ability to operate, so you should have any electrical issues inspected and repaired immediately to ensure your vehicle lasts for as long as possible.
Your BMW is important for your day-to-day life, and when you use your vehicle regularly, you want to make sure it is keeping you and your passengers safe. If your vehicle is showing any signs of experiencing electrical issues, bring it to an experienced automotive repair shop. Driving with electrical issues puts you at risk of being stranded with a vehicle that cannot start and is in need of extremely expensive repairs.
Signs Your BMW Is Having Electrical Issues
The electrical system in your vehicle is complex and plays a vital role in many of your vehicle’s functions. If your BMW is having electrical issues, there are a large number of signs that could indicate there is an issue including:
- Light Issues: Your vehicle has a lot of lights that are important to keep you and those driving around you safe, such as, turn signals, brake lights, and headlights. When these lights dim or do not work altogether, it could indicate that your vehicle’s electrical system is holding a low voltage.
- Ineffective Heating and Air Conditioning System: If the heating of air conditioning in your vehicle seems to be losing strength, it could be a sign that your vehicle is not able to charge properly.
- Ignition Issues: Your vehicle’s engine needs electricity to be able to start. If your vehicle’s ignition is making an unusual noise when starting or is having trouble turning, then you should bring your vehicle into a professional BMW repair shop Ignition issues can quickly turn into not being able to start your vehicle at all.
- Burning Smell: Whether it smells like burning plastic, burning rubber, or burning oil, all can be signs of an electrical system issue. While they vary in what electrical issue might be causing the smell, any burning smell should be addressed by an automotive technician because it could lead to more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Malfunctioning Electronic Component: Other electronics in your vehicle, such as the power windows and the stereo, are also powered by your vehicle’s electrical system. If they are not operating properly, it could be a sign of an electrical issue.
Common Causes of Electrical Issues in Your BMW
Similar to the wide variety of signs that indicate electrical issues in your vehicle, there are also several different reasons that your vehicle may be having electrical issues. Some of the potential causes of your BMW’s electrical issues include:
- Dead, Damaged, or Faulty Battery: While it is possible for your vehicle’s battery to die due to a mistake, such as leaving the lights on overnight, a battery can lose its ability to hold a charge over time. If your vehicle is exposed to moisture or road debris often, the battery’s terminals and cord connectors could corrode overtime, inhibiting the battery’s ability to hold a charge. Depending on the severity of the corrosion, it could potentially be cleaned up to allow the battery to function better. If not, the battery might need to be replaced.
- Malfunctioning Alternator: The alternator helps recharge the battery, so when it malfunctions it can prevent the battery from charging properly, and may need to be replaced.
- Damaged Alternator Belt: A cracked alternator belt can disrupt the electrical system’s process.
- Damaged Cables: The electrical system’s cables can become frayed or broken over time, and disrupt the connection between the power source and various electronic components.
- Faulty or Blown Fuses: Fuses are designed to protect your vehicle’s electrical system, and when a fuse blows, it disrupts the flow of electricity in your vehicle. While sometimes they blow for no reason, any time a fuse is blown it may be a good idea to have an automotive technician inspect the issue in case there is an underlying issue with the electrical system.
Bring Your BMW to Carotech Automotive
At Carotech Automotive, our ASE-certified technicians are experienced in handling automotive repairs and maintenance, including electrical issues. We serve vehicle owners in Los Angeles, California and its surrounding areas. If your BMW appears to be experiencing electrical issues, make an appointment at our shop today and we will return your BMW to its top condition.
* BMW Car image credit goes to: aapsky.