If you’re the owner of a Volvo, you may be all too familiar with suspension bushing failures. These suspension components are designed to provide a cushion between the suspension and the body of the car, but they often fail prematurely. If you’re dealing with a suspension bushing failure in your Volvo, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the problem.
Signs of Suspension Bushing Failure
When a suspension bushing fails in a Volvo, it can cause a number of problems. The suspension may become less comfortable, and the car may become less stable. In some cases, the suspension may even fail entirely.
If you suspect that your suspension bushing has failed, take your car to a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. They will be able to diagnose the problem and recommend a course of action. In most cases, the suspension bushing will need to be replaced. However, if the suspension is also damaged, it may need to be repaired or replaced as well. Either way, it is important to have the problem fixed as soon as possible to avoid further damage to your car.
- Pulling to one side or the other when braking or accelerating
- You spot uneven tire wear on each tire
- The tire wear patterns reveal camber wear (inner or outer wear only)
- You may hear a clunking noise when accelerating or braking
- You may feel the steering is loose when turning corners
Causes of Bushing Failure in your Suspension
All suspensions are going to have suspension bushing. In a perfect world, these bushings would last forever, but they don’t and will eventually need to be replaced. Let’s take a look at a couple of the most common causes of suspension bushing failure:
- Age: One of the primary causes of suspension bushing failure is simply age. Over time, the suspension bushing will harden and cracks will develop. This is especially common in older Volvos.
- Poor Installation: Another common cause of suspension bushing failure is poor installation. If the suspension bushing is not installed correctly, it can cause problems down the road. This might manifest itself as premature wear or even complete failure of the suspension system.
- Neglect of Maintenance: Lastly, suspension bushing can fail if they are not properly maintained. This means that you need to regularly check them for wear and tear and replace them when necessary.
While suspension bushing failures are fairly common, they can be avoided with proper care and maintenance. By staying on top of things, you can avoid a lot of headaches down the road.
The Proper Steps to Take
First, it’s important to understand what causes suspension bushing failures. These components are often made from rubber or polyurethane, which can degrade over time due to heat, UV exposure, and other factors. In addition, suspension bushings are often subject to high stress levels, which can cause them to fail even sooner.
Once you understand the causes of suspension bushing failures, you can take steps to prevent them.
- Make sure to have your suspension regularly inspected by a qualified mechanic. This will allow you to identify any potential problems early on and take steps to rectify them.
- Additionally, consider upgrading to aftermarket suspension bushings that are designed to withstand higher stress levels and last longer than stock components.
By taking these preventive measures, you can help ensure that your suspension bushings don’t fail prematurely.
Visit Carotech Automotive for Your Volvo’s Suspension Problems
Carotech Automotive offers you the best repair, installation, and maintenance services for your domestic, Asian, and European vehicle! When you need expert auto repair service in Los Angeles, CA, Carotech Automotive is here for you.
We have years of experience repairing and maintaining cars and we always keep up with the latest technology and equipment for car maintenance. Whatever type of auto repair service you may need, we’ve got the skills and experience necessary to keep your car, truck, or SUV running smoothly.
We offer various automotive services including auto diagnostics, auto repair, AC repair, brake repair, engine check light, etc. We have experienced auto repair mechanics who will give you the best auto center services in Los Angeles, CA, so give us a call today!